So, the year is half over already, which is somehow both shocking and relieving at the same time. And as most mommies would expect, I managed to learn a few things about motherhood on the first four days of the second half of the year. Here are the highlights:
1. My inlaws came to town to celebrate my little guy’s first birthday (holy cow, how time flies!) I learned that no matter what you do, there is no controlling the uncontrollable … like the fight, during dinner, between the black lab and our 21 pound kitty cat (he’s no slouch and won handily). The best part was actually the next day, when the cat came into the room, and this perfectly trained dog peed all over the floor in fright. Yay! Needless to say in the first 5 minutes after they left, I’d already steam cleaned the floor!
2. Kids say such awesome things, I can’t stand it. The best one of the second half of the year so far: “Momma, you have a butt on your back.” Thanks dude …
3. Nothing beats a Children’s Museum on a hot summer day. Especially when they have ice-pops! It takes me back to my Girl Scout sleepovers at the Boston Children’s Museum. We didn’t do a sleep over but my boys had a blast playing in the little fake Food Lion grocery store and little fake Krispy Kreme donut factory. Double-yum!
4. The best time to visit Target is at 8PM on the Fourth of July. Apparently most people have fun things to be doing at that time. We, on the other hand, scored a new diaper pale (review to come once I decide whether I like it or not) and we even caught a double rainbow on our way out of the store. Frankly, it was fate … in the good way.
5. Neighborhood fireworks are so freaking convenient! We didn’t make it to the baseball game (it was thundering and lightning so the game was delayed and fireworks likely didn’t happen until closer to 11PM than 9PM as planned) but we were lucky to catch some pretty impressive fireworks. I’m not quite sure how it’s legal to send up full-fledged fireworks in a neighborhood within the city limits where houses aren’t more than 30-feet apart but it was pretty awesome to stand on the front stairs and catch a glimpse!
Happy July to mommies everywhere!